Maxtor or WD?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 16 23:42:46 UTC 2006

From: "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com>

> On 16/06/06, fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

>> > I think Linux also has a problem recognizing drives set to cable select
>> > instead of the Master / Slave pin settings. I have had problems with
>> > that in the past. Ric
>>
>> I always configure 'em with CS, never a problem. Been using Linux
>> since '95. At the moment, this machine has a combination of WD and
>> Maxtor drives in it.
>>
>> As for which brand to buy, I'd go with whichever one has the longest
>> warranty.
>>

> Three years on the both of them!

If quality and reliability matters do not purchase commodity drives
from either manufacturer. I have a severe case of WD phobia dating
back a decade or so, so I cannot address them. However, Maxtor makes
some excellent drives with longer warranties. Check out their
DiamondMax line or modern equivalent. They cost more. They are quite
solid drives. And the warranty service is OUTSTANDING. (I had a
problem which turned out to be a faulty Promise RAID controller. It
created bad spots on drives, at the same spot on multiple drives.
The bad spots turned up on Maxtor's PowerMax tool. So they replaced
the drive's for free. They're wonderful people IMOAO. Later on when
the new drives developed bad spots at the same place I started going
around with the Promise folks. They ended up replacing the board. And
now everything is running smooth as silk for Promise board and the
Maxtor disks.) The drives I have came with a 5 year warranty.

And of course today Seagate, Maxtor, and Quantum are all one company.
<sigh> That leaves WD, perhaps Hitachi, Samsung, and Seagate. If I
did not purchase Seagate I'd probably go for Samsung. Their drives are
solid if unimpressive performers in my experience.

{^_^}