Information about dialup connection program

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 02:44:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 17:14 +0200, S. Cesaretti wrote:
> Hi list,
> I'm trying to use dialup connection with fc5.
> I'm using slmodem and kppp program to establish the connection but it
> doesn't work.
> Maybe the line is not so good.
> Is there any other program to establish dialup connection?
> Can I try other program?
> or could you advice something else to do?
> Thanks in advance.
> best regards.
> Sauro

U used to run an 8 line BBS, so I had to fiddle with modems alot! The
most important thing is the init string. If you have your documentation
or access to the net, search for the correct init string for that modem
and use it.

If your modem appears on the winmodem list, you will not be happy but
you can force it to connect at a lower reliable speed. A good modem for
Linux is one that has it's compression chores built-in to the hardware.
Cheaper modems will use the system CPU to do the compression chores
through some kind of Win driver. Linux/Unix expects the unit to be
plugged in and ready to accept data to/from the serial port raw. A DC
Hayes or US Robotics are good examples of this kind of modem. They will
cost more, but they always work, no matter which OS you use. I hope this
helps. Ric