[FC5] Converting AVI to DVD HOWTO?

M.Lewis cajun at cajuninc.com
Sat Jun 17 03:00:10 UTC 2006

Paul Smith wrote:
> On 6/15/06, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>> > I have a few .avi files from TV shows that I have downloaded. I would
>> > like to convert these .avi files and burn them to DVD such that I could
>> > view these programs on my TV (DVD).
>> >
>> > I've done a little bit of searching on Google and have come up with
>> some
>> > seemingly dated instructions on how to accomplish this.
>> >
>> > What I have found thus far involves a GUI. If possible, I would like to
>> > avoid a GUI and just do it from the command line. This might not be
>> > possible, I haven't a clue.
>> >
>> > I would appreciate any pointers to howto's. I am completely clueless in
>> > what might be involved in this process.
>>
>> I had the same issues a while back and here's a great link I found, it's
>> from the Gentoo Wiki, but it's a really good doc on the guts of DVD
>> authoring.
>>
>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=117709
>>
>> I've also used DVDAuthor to build a fairly simply Menu for the DVDs and
>> to transcode them to ISOs as well.
>
> In addition to the previous suggestions, let me introduce you to
> Videotrans:
>
> http://videotrans.sourceforge.net/
>
> Videotrans is similar to Tovid (with no GUI, though), but, up to my
> best knowledge, Videotrans performs better regarding sound, as the
> sound of VOB files produced by Tovid have a volume significantly lower
> than the original AVI file.
>
> Paul

Thanks to all. I'll review these suggestions and see which one best
suits what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mike

--

  Real programmers use: COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE
   21:55:01 up 2 days,  2:02,  5 users,  load average: 3.02, 2.36, 1.26

  Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org