Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

Tom Weniger trweniger at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 11:42:32 UTC 2006

On 6/17/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> My 1.5 gHz P4 256MB RAM machine keeps locking up- no response from the
> keyboard or mouse, and the screen does not change (even the spinning
> circles that show something is loading do not move). The red disk
> light is not on. It does not repsond to CTRL-ALT-DEL.
>
> It's locked up now, what can I check? I'm writing this on the wife's
> XP box. The only way to get it back is to hit the rest button on the
> front of the box. After that, should I boot into runlevel 3 and check
> the logs? Should I mail the logs to the list? I don't really know what
> to look for. The hard disk and power supply have been replaced, and it
> did this on Kubuntu and Fedora. It's becoming much more frequent now.
> Nothing is overly hot in the case.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> Greetings Dotan,

I have had the same problem on an AMD box running FC4. When does the box
freeze? At startup? shutdown? Using an app? Is it a dual boot?
In my case, the problem occurred at shutdown and was solved by upgrading to
FC5 and ensuring that the /etc/fstab knew about the WinXP partitions on the
other disk. This box is frequently used and switched to the other OS.
HtH.

--
Virtually,
Tom W