Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 17 18:02:53 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 20:37 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 17/06/06, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> > On Sat June 17 2006 12:40 pm, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > Thanks, Dan. My dirves are IDE but I will check the cables
> > > nonetheless. It just lovked up on me again: FF, Konqi, and
> > > Konsole were all open, and I had just began a yum update. It
> > > didn't get too far, so I'm not worried.
> >
> > Dotan: As mentioned previously, check your drive jumpers. If you
> > don't know how, ask - this problem you're describing sounds a
> > lot like mis-jumpered drive scenarios I've encountered in the
> > past. Mis-jumpered drives sometimes _can_ work, but performance
> > _can_ be very erratic -  I''ve encountered many variations on
> > the mis-jumpered drive theme and performance is not always
> > predictable.
>
> Thanks, Claude. I seemed to have missed that suggestion. My jumpers
> are like this:
> hda (160GB WD):
> [40pin IDE]  OOIOO  [POWER]
>                ^that's the 3rd of 5 slots. This is supposed to be the
> "mast w/ slave" option
>
> hdb (40GB WD):
> [40pin IDE]  OOOIO  [POWER]
>                 ^that's the 4th of 5 slots. This is supposed to be the
> "slave" option.
>
> Does it matter where they plug into on the ribbon? hdb is closer to
> the motherboard on the ribbon, and hda is the end of the ribbon. Does
> this sound right? Thanks.
----
that sounds correct

newer motherboard/bios tends to favor 'Cable Select' options which would
put the 'Master' at the far end of the ribbon cable and the 'Slave' in
the middle connector of the ribbon cable.

I should also mention that I recall early in FC-5 releases, someone
complaining their system was locking up on the sound drivers. You might
want to search the archives

Craig