Is there a safe or easy downgrade FC5 > FC4??

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sat Jun 17 21:46:56 UTC 2006

I'm getting negligible use out of what ought to be my main machine,
because I can't get it to display a Gnome desktop; and KDE with Gnome
Panels and Gnome apps just gives me dangerous blood pressure. (It's fine
for them as likes it, no doubt, but it's like some other GUIs -- every
time I touch it, I dislike it more, alas!)

This machine was doing perfectly fine with FC4. In fact, it did fine with
FC5 -- at first. Then I went and tried out pup and pirut, and must have
uninstalled something I shouldn't have -- and can't find again.

I know it must be my fault, because all three other machines in the house
went happily on running FC5 just fine; but I can't seem to find the fault.

I've tried you install gnome*, yum install gnome-*, yum install gtk*, and
yum install gtk-* -- and gotten lots of stuff, but not my desktop back.

When I click on Session on the login screen, and then on Gnome, and log
in, it shows the little thing that tells you what it's bringing up -- and
when it gets to about the third, the whole screen goes blank -- solid dark
blue, no anything.

After a few minutes, apparently the screensaver thinks it's working -- at
least, if I KVM back to it, it demands my password. (God, I hate that.) I
give it, and it goes back to the dull blue screen.

So I tried taking a testbed machine from FC5 back to FC4 -- and ran into a
hassle royal. I got it, eventually, but I'm still missing some of my
configurations.

So is there a yum downgrade command, or any other relatively
straightforward way to get back to something I can use?? Yum remove gnome
followed by yum install gnome, maybe?? (I *think* I tried that ...)

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Wordcrafty Squirreler, Neo-
Redneck Retiree,  Not Quite Clueless FC Power User