going bonkers trying to install fc-5

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jun 19 11:09:40 UTC 2006

Peter Horst wrote:

> Boy, I am having such a hard time figuring out what's wrong here.  I had
> a couple of old beater computers, tried to install fc-5 from a cd set.
> Hash-verified, should have been decent disks, etc. No dice. Neither
> computer would "see" the boot disk.  Thought, "oh, well."  Needed a new
> box anyway. Picked up an emachines t-3418 yesterday.  Burned fc-5 iso
> disk 1 onto a new Taiyo Yuden 700mb disk - verified that the data is
> present & accounted for (SHA-1 hash matches). And still! Despite any
> changes I make to the BIOS settings, I cannot get this computer to boot
> from the install disk - tried booting from boot.iso, from the recovery
> disk, nothing. Obviously the common denominator here is me, but I can't
> figure out what I might be doing wrong.  Can a disk checkout hash-wise
> and still be bad? What am I missing here?  Could it be the windows
> software I am using to burn with?

The first thing to find out is if anything boots from the CD drive.
Do you have a Windows CD? If so, does that boot?

If it does, I would try downloading Knoppix, and see if that works.

In other words, the first step is to see if the problem
has anything to do with Fedora.
I doubt if it does.

--
Timothy Murphy