Root Password problem

Matthew Benjamin msbenjamin12 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 17:46:33 UTC 2006

On 6/21/06, goheat <no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org> wrote:

> yes i did it, i changed to runlevel 3 and the text-mode works. However, my
> root password is not letting me in. So, i changed the runlevel to 1 and
> change the root password and was successfully changed. I do a reboot command
> and re-login as root and the new password, but the new password is still not
> working....
>

> --
> This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
>
> http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=94897&topic_id=22783&forum=23#forumpost94897
>
> --

Here is how I have done it in the past.

When the GRUB menu comes up, hit 'a' to edit the kernel append line.  Then
tack "single" (no quotes) on the end.  You'll come up in single user mode,
and you can change the passwd from there.

*During the boot you'll see the **lilo** prompt. Type **linux** **single**.
Linux automatically makes you **root** without prompting you for a password.
Use the **passwd** command and enter a new password for the root ID. Linux
will not ask you for an old password. Shut down Linux and reboot. Linux will
come up in multiuser mode if you don't type **linux** **single** at the **
lilo** prompt. Next, log in as **root**, using your new password*.

--
mB.