LAMP on Fedora

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Thu Jun 22 14:40:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:44:54 -0400, Craig Thomas
<cjtinhp at optonline.net> opined:
> Robert F. Chapman wrote:
> > Up to about a year ago, I did everything from source.  This was
> > primarily due to features and bug fixes were very slow to be
> > implemented in the standard RPM's.
> >
> > I didn't have a very good handle on RPM at the time, so I'd
> > download the source and recompile.  This worked OK for a while,
> > but when I had to support several instances on production
> > servers, this began to become a tedious job.
>
> FWIW
>
> one could compile from source and use rpms by building binary rpms
> from s[ource]rpms. That should give you 'better' performance
> without as much headache. You'd still need to solve dependencies,
> as yum doesn't handle srpms, though.
>
> Personally, I've never done anything but yum [up2date,apt] install
> php and never had an issue worth mentioning.

Been there, done that obsessively. i386 to 686 or P4. At the end of
the day, if there is a difference it is imperceptible.

The only exception (YMMV-JMHO) is the kernel. I use custom compiled
vanilla kernels.

--
Do NOT Send Email to <spam trap> Fedora at TQMcube,com
Our DNSRBL - Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com