How to configure mysql server?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jun 22 17:43:25 UTC 2006

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> You can try reinitializing the mysql tables by running:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/mysql_install_db
>>
>> Thanks, I tried that (as myself, not superuser),
>> and obtained an enormously long - over 2000 lines - message,
>> which finished by saying
>> -------------------------------------
>> To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
>> to the right place for your system
>> -------------------------------------

> The message is a generic message, and not FC5 specific. Starting the
> mysql server is controlled by the mysqld script in /etc/rc.d/init.d
> just like other servers are controlled. You can use the service and
> chkconfig commands to control its starting, or you can use one of
> the GUIs for controlling services. If you want to do it from the
> cli, your best bet is to run setup as root, and pick "System
> services" from the menu. From Gnome, run System --> Administration
> --> Server Settings --> Services.

I've no problem running mysqld - with "sudo service mysqld restart".
My problem is that I cannot access the mysql server on my desktop
from the mysql client on my laptop.

The message may be generic, but surely it should make sense,
even on Fedora-5.

> As far as using mysql, you will probably want to install the
> mysql-administration package.

I have installed this package, in fact every package with mysql in its name.

> While mysql can be administered with
> the cli tools, they are not very friendly.

There is a difference between being unfriendly and not working.
I have followed the instructions I was given,
and they do not appear to have the intended effect.

> Now, if you have not done anything with the database, then I would
> do this, as root:
>
> service mysqld stop
> rm -f /var/lib/mysql/*
> service mysqld start

I shall try that (well, I will save the files rather than deleting them).
Here is what happened:
[root at alfred ~]# service mysqld stop
Stopping MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]
[root at alfred ~]# cd /usr/lib
[root at alfred lib]# mkdir mysql.bak
[root at alfred lib]# mv mysql/* mysql.bak/
[root at alfred lib]# cd
[root at alfred ~]# service mysqld start
Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
Starting MySQL:                                            [FAILED]
[root at alfred ~]#
[root at alfred ~]# cd /usr/lib
[root at alfred lib]# mv mysql.bak/* mysql/
[root at alfred lib]# service mysqld start
Starting MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]
[root at alfred lib]#

Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366