c++ programming evironment

wwp subscript at free.fr
Sat Jun 24 07:43:37 UTC 2006

Hello Jiann-Ming,

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 02:02:12 -0400 "Jiann-Ming Su" <sujiannming at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/20/06, Todd Simi <tsimi at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm taking a c++ class that is being taught with M$ Virtual C++
> > environment, but we are allowed to use any compiler of our choice.
> >
> > Is their anything similar to the Virtual C++ environment for linux?
> >

> SlickEdit is cross platform, but a commercial product.
> http://www.slickedit.com/
>
> > I've always used vi for the little I've done.
> >

> Yeah, you can't do any serious programming with just vi, regardless of
> what people will continue to claim.  Software development with vi is
> like trying to drive in a screw with a hammer.  Not saying you can't
> get work done with it, but you're probably not being very efficient or
> doing a very good job.  I'm not sure how people can work without
> autocompletion and class browsing when you're working on a huge
> project with hundreds of files and classes.  Vi is probably still good
> for programs with less than 10 files and classes.  Plus, IDE's like
> SlickEdit allows you to edit in vi mode.

I'm not a vi defender at all (its keys are counter-intuitive to me), but it
seems that you don't know vi well enough. It has completion and templates, it
has everything you'd need from an IDE (w/ a bit of extending/customizing/etc).
Here at work, some of my colleagues are using it 'like' an IDE or at least the
central point for development, and those guyz are not the worst programmers
I know :-). FYI the company I'm working with is about developing IDEs and vi
has never been rejected from a feature point of view (but from a UI one, it
might).

BTW, did anyone talk about Eclipse here?

And for what it worth, nedit+mrxvt+mc+gcc+gdb is the toolchain I use for
years. Please think about defining what's an IDE, at least define what's
Integrated.

Regards,

--
wwp