FC4 and Java...

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Jun 24 20:19:35 UTC 2006

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, bruce wrote:

> hi..
>
> Can someone please tell me whay it's apparently difficult to install java
> sdk on FC4...

Sun's licensing terms preclude distribution by third parties.

> it appears that i have to do ...
> http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4
>
> or, is there a rpm package that i can get my hands on...

That *is* the RPM package.  It's just that you have to build it yourself.

The JPackage RPMs are designed to integrate properly with Fedora.  The Sun
RPMs are broken.  The Sun .bin distribution doesn't integrate at all.  If
all you want is the browser plugin, it doesn't matter much, but if you are
doing anything more sophisticated than that, you definitely want to follow
the JPackage Way.

It looks scary at first, but it's really not that hard...

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu