dvd::rip anyone got it working under FC5?[Scanned]

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Jun 25 18:29:29 UTC 2006

On Sunday 25 June 2006 18:10, Chris Bradford wrote:
> That's done it!
>
> Are there any problems mixing freshrpms with livna? This is why I have
> not added freshrpms until now...
>
> Many thanks,
>
> -Chris

Hi Chris. Personally I'm a bit carefull about mixing repo's. I've used Apt
from planetccrma since FC1, which gave me great relief from trying to cope
with Redhats up2date. I added Dag's repo to /etc/apt/sources.list because I
wanted unrar. Got unrar, then ran apt-get dist-upgrade, which showed an
update to Apt from the Dag repo. Said yes to this which resulted
in /etc/apt/sources.list being replaced with all the repo's from Dag, and the
planetccrma ones being trashed. Although I was annoyed, It was not much of a
problem to fix. I do now keep all other repo's, apart from the ones I always
use, commented out in the case of Apt, or enabled=0 in the case of Yum.

I've looked in synaptic for perl-Video-DVDRip, and it's not available with the
default FC5 repo's, but is from freshrpms. There are a load of deps,
including both lame, and libdvdcss. Both have licencing issues which prevent
Fedora inluding them the distro. Lame for MP3, and libdvdcss, which enables
the decoding of encoded DVD's. I see libquicktime as well, which is probably
a bit dodgy.

We are stuck in a catch 22 situation. You leave all the repo's available when
doing a Yum update, or Apt-get dist-upgrade, and risk, perhaps a slight risk
of upgrades causing package conflicts. Or you comment out/disable the 3rd
party repo's, then have no idea if there are updates available for the
packages you have installed from the other repo's.  What now? Write down on
pencil and paper where you got the apps from, with a reminder to check the
repo's each month for updates. I think not. Perhaps a little script to pop up
an X window each month, with a prompt to check the 3rd party repo's for
updates. That sounds better, but is still very much hands on.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid from 1 bad experience from updates from 3rd party
repo's, but I would be carefull.

Fun working with computers isn't it.

Nigel.