Screen Resolution

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jun 26 01:34:37 UTC 2006

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>    Hi Folks,
>
>    I'm having a bit of a problem with setting X to use a higher
> resolution.  Under Winblows, this monitor, a Viewsonic Graphics Series
> G810, can run 1280x1024 just fine.  But I can't get it to do that under
> X.    I can run system-config-display and set it to 1280x1024 but then
> when I restart X, the screen is all screwed up.  I get horizontal lines
> all over it and you can barely read anything.
>
>    At first I thought maybe it was my refresh rates, but after verifying
> with Viewsonic, they match and are what they should be:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>        Identifier   "Monitor0"
>        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>        ModelName    "ViewSonic G810"
>        HorizSync    30.0 - 97.0
>        VertRefresh  50.0 - 180.0
>        Option      "dpms"
> EndSection
>
>    As for the video card, it's a:
>
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier  "Videocard0"
>        Driver      "trident"
>        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>        BoardName   "Trident Blade3D (generic)"
>        Option      "NoAccel"
> EndSection
>
>    What else should I be looking at to figure out this problem?  I'd
> like to get the monitor running with a higher resolution, at least,
> higher than 1024x768.
>
>    Thanks.

There was discussion related to commenting out some of the horizontal,
vertical and resolution settings in the xorg.conf file.
You might try commenting out the items as described in the thread linked
to from a recent fedora-test issue with screen resolution.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-June/msg00449.html

I have not tried the steps yet myself. It appears that reducing the
needed settings in the xorg.conf is being considered.

Jim

--
The more I want to get something done, the less I call it work.
		-- Richard Bach, "Illusions"