Creating bootable zip disk

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jun 26 09:32:33 UTC 2006

Chong Yu Meng wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to create a bootable 750MB Zip disk which I can use to test
> out different kickstart configurations. I downloaded the first CD ISO
> image for FC5 and transferred it to the zip disk using 'dd', like so:
>
> dd if=FC5-xxx.iso of=/dev/hda
>
> I confirmed that the files were all on the disk and then I set the BIOS
> to boot from the internal ATAPI Zip 750 drive, and restarted the
> computer.
>
> On boot, I could hear the Zip drive being accessed and the LED came on,
> however, it stopped after a while and continued booting from the HDD.
>
> I checked the Zip disk again, and the files that should be there are
> there.
>
> Can someone help me out? Is there a special operation I have to do to
> make the Zip disk bootable?

I'd be surprised if your BIOS could boot from an ISO9660 filesystem
(intended for CDs) on a zip disk.

I'd try the diskboot.img, which is a FAT filesystem, instead. You can
get it here:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/images/diskboot.img

Of course it's also in the images directory of the first CD.

Paul.