rkhunter runs twice -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Jun 26 17:05:42 UTC 2006

                    How can I configure things so that rkhunter only
                    runs once each morning?

                    --------------------- Start Rootkit Hunter Update
                    ---------------------

                    Running rkhunter updater... Mon, 26 Jun 2006
                    04:02:02 -0400

                    --------------------- Start Rootkit Hunter Update
                    ---------------------

                    Running rkhunter updater... Mon, 26 Jun 2006
                    04:09:47 -0400

                    And then it each case it proceeds to do a scan, the
                    second being a waste of effort.

                    Configuration is still the default settings:

                    cat /etc/crontab

                    SHELL=/bin/bash
                    PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                    MAILTO=root
                    HOME=/

                    # run-parts
                    01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
                    02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                    22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
                    42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

                    cat /etc/anacrontab

                    # /etc/anacrontab: configuration file for anacron

                    # See anacron(8) and anacrontab(5) for details.

                    SHELL=/bin/sh
                    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                    MAILTO=root

                    1 65 cron.daily run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                    7 70 cron.weekly run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
                    30 75 cron.monthly run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

                    My computer is often on at 04:02 when cron runs but
                    not always since I usually shut it down at night and
                    may not have it back on at that time. I assume the
                    second scan is being triggered by anacron? The "man"
                    pages are not of much help to me, google provides
                    more information but I'm still not sure how to fix
                    this. I want to keep anacron turned on. If I "setup"
                    so that cron does not start will anacron still work?

                    Bob Goodwin Zuni, Virginia w2bod