Wireless Card Trouble ipw220

Garry T. Williams gtwilliams at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 01:43:48 UTC 2006

On Monday 26 June 2006 19:14, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 26/06/06, Paul Ward <pnward at googlemail.com> wrote:
> [You could also look at NetworkManager - you need to start it in
> system-config-services to have it running. I have only used this with
> Gnome though, I am not sure if it works inside KDE - others on the
> list, or the list archives may know.]

It does work with KDE.  NetworkManager is a daemon and has no idea
what desktop you may be using.  It does cooperate with a GNOME applet
called nm-applet, however.  The GNOME applet will run under KDE, too.

The applet must be started by hand or added to the KDE Autstart folder
(Konqueror->Go->Autostart).  The nm-applet will need some support,
though.  To summarize, you need to start these (KDE Autostart folder):

  /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
  /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon
  /usr/bin/nm-applet --sm-disable

The first is so nm-applet can store and retrieve its settings.  The
second is so nm-applet can save passwords and/or keys for encrypted
WiFi networks.

There is one bug I've noticed when running nm-applet under KDE.
Occasionally, it will fail to redraw in the KDE system tray.  The only
recovery for this is to start/stop another application using the
system tray to cause it to be completely redrawn.  Until then, you
cannot use nm-applet's menus.  (Of course, you don't often need the
menus because NM is so nicely automatic.)

There is a package called pam_keyring that will open the gnome keyring
without a password prompt, if the password on the gnome keyring is the
same as the login password.  That's a nice addition to avoid an extra
password prompt after the first need for authentication credentials
for a WiFi network.

Finally, the KDE folks have a package called KNetworkManager in
development.  As I understand it, it is intended to replace nm-applet
on the KDE desktop.  It is not in the stable KDE releases yet, though.
And I have not been successful building it from CVS.  But eventually,
you should have it as part of the KDE environment.

--
Garry T. Williams --- +1 678 656-4579