Mass Emailing for Report Generation

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Tue Jun 27 12:59:52 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 04:00, Feris Thia wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have PHP/CGI Perl script for generating PDF Report via web.
>
> But I want to schedule it via cron to deliver to all subscribers their
> account's PDF Report (mass emailing). The total subscribers are about
> 10,000.  How can I do that ? What requirements do I have to had ? Is there
> any web resources that can guide me to achieve that ?

I think the best thing I can say is don't. You'll waste everyone's bandwidth
and you'll see many people's email just bouncing it back for one or another
reason. Mail out just a link to the users instead.

Anyway, if you really want to get this done the way you're saying and the pdf
generation is in php, read this article -
http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/sendmimeemailpart1.php - and then run php
from the command line. That way not much of your code has to chane.

if you're generating the pdf in perl, you're better off writing a perl script
to keep things consistent. You can run Mime::Lite to get attachments. See
http://www.akadia.com/services/email_attachments_using_perl.html#Email%20attachments%20using%20Perl%20/%20MIME::Lite

Peter.