My eth0 isn't wireless, damit

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jun 27 18:03:19 UTC 2006

Rob Andrews writes:
> On 27-Jun-2006 13:56.27 (BST), Janina Sajka wrote:
>  > > > So, what's with the wireless presumption?
>  > > Check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. Chances are the TYPE=
>  > > parameter is set to "Wireless", change it to "Ethernet". I think the
>  > > network scripts ignore the extraneous settings that pertain to wireless
>  > > networks, but you can most likely remove fields like RATE=, MODE= and
>  > > ESSID=.
>  > But there weren't any of these wireless fields in that file, and adding
>  > "TYPE=Ethernet" didn't help. Still gives me the SIOCGIF* type errors. I
>  > should think that specifying the hwaddr would be definitive, but it seems it's
>  > getting ignored--something I've also seen on my laptop at times.
>
> Can you copy the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> and the full output of ifconfig -a (and iwconfig might be useful) into a reply
> to this thread?

Yes, first ifcfg-eth0 and then ifcfg-eth0:0 ...

# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.XXX.255
HWADDR=00:01:6C:2B:33:92
IPADDR=192.168.XXX.XXX
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.XXX.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=66.XXX.XXX.XXX
HWADDR=00:01:6C:2B:33:92
IPADDR=66.XXX.XXX.XXX
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=66.XXX.XXX.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

And now some command output:

root at fantasia 13:54 network-scripts#service network start
Bringing up loopback interface:  SIOCGIFXQLEN: No such device
SIOCGIFXQLEN: No such device
eth0:0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
                                                           [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:  SIOCGIFXQLEN: No such device
SIOCGIFXQLEN: No such device
SIOCGIFXQLEN: No such device
SIOCGIFXQLEN: No such device
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    SET failed on device eth0:0 ; No such device.
SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
Failed to bring up eth0:0.
                                                           [FAILED]
root at fantasia 13:54 network-scripts#ifconfig -a
eth0:0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
root at fantasia 13:54 network-scripts#iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

eth0:0    No such device

root at fantasia 13:55 network-scripts#service network stop
Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
root at fantasia 13:57 network-scripts#ifconfig eth0
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
root at fantasia 13:57 network-scripts#rmmod r8169
root at fantasia 13:57 network-scripts#ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:01:6C:2B:33:92
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          Interrupt:169 Base address:0x8000

root at fantasia 13:57 network-scripts#

Thanks for your help.