Various recent threads about networking issues

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Jun 27 21:32:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
>> It is definitely related to the order of detection, but that's not
>> entirely predictable.  For example, before updating initscripts, I'd see
>> the order of detection change over the course of several rapid reboots
>> with the same kernel.
>
> This has also been my experience.
>
> My router has an internal interface eth0 and an external eth1.
> Rebooting swaps the interfaces some times, and the pppoe points to
> the internal LAN, with obvious results.
>
> I could fix the problem by using the MAC address (HWADDR variable
> in ifcfg-eth{0,1}), but I don't want to do that because I need to
> be able to move the disks to another machine with similar hardware
> and power up with zero configuration change (this is done for disaster
> recovery, and the disks are not really moved, just rsync'ed).

FWIW, I have not found that HWADDR reliably orders the interfaces ayway.
Even with HWADDR parameters, interfaces would occasionally reorder
themselves.

> Will the new initscripts be useful for me?

I believe so.  In any case, I don't think there's anything it could hurt.

Give it a shot and let us know.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences