My eth0 isn't wireless, damit

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Jun 28 01:22:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 14:03 -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Rob Andrews writes:
> > On 27-Jun-2006 13:56.27 (BST), Janina Sajka wrote:
> >  > > > So, what's with the wireless presumption?
> >  > > Check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. Chances are the TYPE=
> >  > > parameter is set to "Wireless", change it to "Ethernet". I think the
> >  > > network scripts ignore the extraneous settings that pertain to wireless
> >  > > networks, but you can most likely remove fields like RATE=, MODE= and
> >  > > ESSID=.
> >  > But there weren't any of these wireless fields in that file, and adding
> >  > "TYPE=Ethernet" didn't help. Still gives me the SIOCGIF* type errors. I
> >  > should think that specifying the hwaddr would be definitive, but it seems it's
> >  > getting ignored--something I've also seen on my laptop at times.
> >
> > Can you copy the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> > and the full output of ifconfig -a (and iwconfig might be useful) into a reply
> > to this thread?
> >
> Yes, first ifcfg-eth0 and then ifcfg-eth0:0 ...
>
> # Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0:0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> BROADCAST=192.168.XXX.255
> HWADDR=00:01:6C:2B:33:92
> IPADDR=192.168.XXX.XXX
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.XXX.0
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
>

> # Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0:0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> BROADCAST=66.XXX.XXX.XXX
> HWADDR=00:01:6C:2B:33:92
> IPADDR=66.XXX.XXX.XXX
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=66.XXX.XXX.0
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet

You are showing the same device in both files.
for the first (ifcfg-eth0) it should have the matching device (eth0).

I think the problem is that eth0 MUST be initialized before any aliases
on that device can be initialized.  With the two files you list above
the device eth0 is never initialized. It attempts to initialize device
eth0:0 twice and fails.

Also, this is not a real problem,but is not necessary, for you to add
the HWADDR= parameter in the aliases files. If you only have it in one
file, and wind up replacing the nic, then you only have to change it one
place.  If you have it in several files you must change it in EACH of
those file when the hardware is replaced.