several discrepancies with new -2139 kernel.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jun 28 02:43:38 UTC 2006

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> My procedure involves a set of screw drivers and an Xacto knife.  Do, I
>>> still get the wine?  :-)
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>
>> If it works!
>
> (1) Check the BIOS.  There may be a setting to enable/disable the
> touchpad or the pointing stick.

This bios, if it went to the same school I did 66 years ago, would never
graduate to 2nd grade.  None of that stuff is in it.

> (2) Try removing the syanptics RPM.  I'm not sure what that leaves you
> with, possibly a touchpad that moves the cursor but doesn't scroll or tap.

That appears to be a dead end:
[root at diablo 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5]# rpm -qa|grep synaptic
[root at diablo 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5]#
[root at diablo 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5]# man synaptics
No manual entry for synaptics

> (3) See /usr/share/doc/synaptics*/ and man synaptics.  (In particular,
> check out the suggestively named TouchpadOff parameter.)  If what
> bothers you is accidental tapping when you are typing, man syndaemon.

[root at diablo man syndaemon
No manual entry for syndaemon

Next?  :-)
Should I install it just so I can disable it?  Seems counter intuitive,
but what the hey..  I have, but unless it takes a reboot, I can't find
where to start it.

Now there is a man syndaemon!   which sort of explains the changes to
xorg.conf, but not very well.  I also have one of the M$ little
bluetooth mice plugged into the usb port on the right edge of the
machine.  That works rather nicely.

It would appear that livna is out of step with itself:
nable to satisfy dependencies
Package kmod-ndiswrapper needs ndiswrapper-kmod-common = 1.13, this is
not available.
Package kmod-ndiswrapper needs ndiswrapper-kmod-common = 1.13, this is
not available.
Package kmod-ntfs needs ntfs-kmod-common = 2.1.26, this is not available.
Package kmod-ntfs needs ntfs-kmod-common = 2.1.26, this is not available.

Now to restart x and see how bad I screwed it up...

--
Cheers, Gene