Creating bootable zip disk

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 28 05:17:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 13:59 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> I have no idea why Iomega  used partition 4 instead of partition 1.

Probably used to avoid drive letter shuffling on Windows systems.  All
the primary partitions get the first letters on something like Win98,
which can re-letter your other partitions, depending on where the Zip
drive is connected amongst all your IDE ports.  Extended partitions get
letters after the primary partitions, so none of your primary partitions
should get shuffled, though some of your extended ones might.  At the
very least, it shouldn't stop you from booting.

Gawd but I hate that system.  I like the Amiga system where drive device
names were written to the discs themselves, just like the volume labels.

e.g. Your "System:" drive was itself, no matter where it was connected.
And you might set up your Quantum hard drive partitions as "QHD0:"
through to "QHD8:", and always be able to find them apart from your
Seagate drive partitions, which you'd called "SHD0:" to "SHD2:".  Giving
you simultaneous, and consistent, drive/partition device names, as well
as consistent volume labels ("System:", "Data:", etc.).

I read messages from the public lists.