question about yum update, graphics packages

Peter Horst phorst at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 28 19:46:26 UTC 2006

I just tried my first 'yum update'.  The list of packages to be updated
included 'gtk2' and 'mesa-libGL', but the system that I'm updating was
installed without an X server.  Aren't those graphics packages?

I am just curious as to why they would have been included during the
install process.  My impression was that 'yum update' would only update
packages that are currently installed on the machine - is this correct?
PS I'm not an anti-GUI fanatic, I'm just curious :-)

Thanks very much...