HELP: Fedora 5 causes kernel to always freeze!

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Thu Jun 29 02:45:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 17:39 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 15:42 +0800, Chong Yu Meng wrote:
>
> > I am using an Nvidia motherboard, K8NGM2-FID, from MSI (the ONLY brand I
> > use now), with an Athlon AMD64 and running 64-bit FC5 with no problems
> > so far.
>
> That is what I wanted to hear.. I'm still chicken and running i586 i686
> kernels and 32bit. I'm working up some bravery to go ahead and run
> 64bit. I'm waiting to see if the hubbub dies down just a wee bit more!
> <g> Ric

So far, 64-bit FC5 for me has been incredible ! There are still
problems, such as Java (I am using Blackdown) not running stable 100% of
the time, and there is no 64-bit Flash plugin (you can still use the
32-bit Flash with 32-bit Mozilla/Firefox), but my FC5 box seems to be a
lot more responsive than my notebook, and all the server applications I
need run fine. I am now playing around with kickstart to see if I can
duplicate installs.

I had some help from Lonni on deciding on the motherboard. You remember
Lonni from the Caldera list, right?

Regards,

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym at cymulacrum.net
web:    http://cymulacrum.net
pgp:    http://cymulacrum.net/pgp/cymulacrum.asc

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur