kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 won't sleep

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Fri Jun 30 01:28:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 07:24:42PM -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, David A. De Graaf wrote:

> >>OK that fix is known to solve the Radeon power-consumption-in-suspend
> >>problem.  It looks like there is still something else going on and using
> >>the radeonfb driver doesn't fix it.
> >
> >I've measured the time to discharge two ways using  acpitool -b
> >periodically:
> >1)  The laptop running quiescently, with screensaver operative
> >2)  The laptop in sleep mode, and manually woken periodically
> >Both runs used kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5 (because the 2139 version
> >won't work) and the radeonfb radeon_force_sleep=1 option was used.
> >
> >Running  screensaver			Sleep mode
> >Time		Charge		Time		Charge
> >10:58:43 AM	100		03:11:34 PM	98.54
> >11:18:43 AM	83.53		03:12:00 PM	98.51
> >11:38:43 AM	69.76		04:09:30 PM	74.84
> >11:58:43 AM	58.1		04:41:39 PM	63.4
> >12:18:43 PM	46.63		05:00:27 PM	56.62
> >12:38:43 PM	35.13		05:35:23 PM	44.32
> >12:58:43 PM	23.72		06:00:25 PM	35.45
> >01:18:43 PM	12.43		07:00:56 PM	14.28
> >01:38:43 PM	1.34		07:34:55 PM	0.03
> >				08:01:13 PM	31.18
> >Time to discharge:
> >2h:40m = 2.67h                  4h:24m = 4.40h
> >
> >That's not very impressive; only 1.65x longer with sleep mode.
> >I don't think the sleep mode is getting everything turned off that
> >could be.  The operative /etc/acpi/events/sleep.conf action is
> >   acpitool -s
> >
> >Perhaps there's a more effective way to enter sleep mode.
> >Any suggestions?
>
> First, are you sure the radeonfb module is being loaded?  During the text
> part of the boot, the active VC should change to small font/full screen.
> If you have a vga= kernel parameter on your kernel line in grub.conf,
> remove it.  Also, dmesg should report radeonfb statuses, including
>
>    radeonfb: forcefully enabling sleep mode

Matthew Saltzman:  Are you psychic, or what?
Despite your crystal-clear instructions, I managed to screw them up.
I put the essential line    MODULES="radeonfb"  in
/etc/sysconfig/mkinitfb instead of /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd.
This inanity caused the radeonfb module not to be loaded.

With this error corrected, all is well.  lsmod shows the radeonfb module
is loaded and dmesg shows a host of initialization messages.
The screen backlight is off while sleeping and the battery drain is
miniscule.  I'm measuring the drain as I write this, but it'll take
quite a while.  Thank you for your patience and perseverance.

> Otherwise, I just suspend/resume using the pm-utils as installed by
> default in FC5.  I can close the lid or press Fn-F4 to suspend to RAM and
> open the lid or press Fn alone (maybe other keys also) to resume.  I
> haven't used acpitool to suspend.  My old FC4 scripts suspended by writing
> "mem" into /sys/power/state.
>
> I can suspend to RAM and have it last for a couple of days without
> problem.

I have not found the pm-utils programs to be installed or used in any
way - by default.  The only effect that I can see of either Fn-F4 or
lid closure is that the acpi daemon notices these events.
I don't know of any other mechanism besides acpi to respond to
these events.  However, my fresh install of FC5 provides no rules
whatever to deal with these events in /etc/acpi/events - only
sample.conf and video.conf.  To create any response to these events
I had to create the rules files - lid.conf and sleep.conf - which now
state action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend.   Without these rules files, the acpi
events are merely recorded in /var/log/acpid, but cause no action.

There are evidently two commands to induce suspend-to-memory -
   /usr/bin/acpitool -s
   /usr/sbin/pm-suspend
With kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 the first one, which uses the S3 mode,
is broken.  This has provoked considerable discussion elsewhere on
this list.  Fortunately, the second method still works.

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.us         www.datix.us