kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 won't sleep

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Jun 30 11:30:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, David A. De Graaf wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 07:24:42PM -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, David A. De Graaf wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 02:33:51PM -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>>
>> First, are you sure the radeonfb module is being loaded?  During the text
>> part of the boot, the active VC should change to small font/full screen.
>> If you have a vga= kernel parameter on your kernel line in grub.conf,
>> remove it.  Also, dmesg should report radeonfb statuses, including
>>
>>    radeonfb: forcefully enabling sleep mode
>
> Matthew Saltzman:  Are you psychic, or what?

No, just out of options.  "When you have eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."  --Sherlock
Holmes.

> Despite your crystal-clear instructions, I managed to screw them up.
> I put the essential line    MODULES="radeonfb"  in
> /etc/sysconfig/mkinitfb instead of /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd.
> This inanity caused the radeonfb module not to be loaded.
>
> With this error corrected, all is well.  lsmod shows the radeonfb module
> is loaded and dmesg shows a host of initialization messages.
> The screen backlight is off while sleeping and the battery drain is
> miniscule.  I'm measuring the drain as I write this, but it'll take
> quite a while.  Thank you for your patience and perseverance.

Glad you got it working.

>> Otherwise, I just suspend/resume using the pm-utils as installed by
>> default in FC5.  I can close the lid or press Fn-F4 to suspend to RAM and
>> open the lid or press Fn alone (maybe other keys also) to resume.  I
>> haven't used acpitool to suspend.  My old FC4 scripts suspended by writing
>> "mem" into /sys/power/state.
>>
>> I can suspend to RAM and have it last for a couple of days without
>> problem.
>
> I have not found the pm-utils programs to be installed or used in any
> way - by default.  The only effect that I can see of either Fn-F4 or
> lid closure is that the acpi daemon notices these events.
> I don't know of any other mechanism besides acpi to respond to
> these events.  However, my fresh install of FC5 provides no rules
> whatever to deal with these events in /etc/acpi/events - only
> sample.conf and video.conf.  To create any response to these events
> I had to create the rules files - lid.conf and sleep.conf - which now
> state action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend.   Without these rules files, the acpi
> events are merely recorded in /var/log/acpid, but cause no action.
>
> There are evidently two commands to induce suspend-to-memory -
>   /usr/bin/acpitool -s
>   /usr/sbin/pm-suspend
> With kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 the first one, which uses the S3 mode,
> is broken.  This has provoked considerable discussion elsewhere on
> this list.  Fortunately, the second method still works.

I haven't had a chance to investigate the new pm system much at all.  Am
traveling, but when I get back, maybe I'll have a chance to take a closer
look.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences