Strange DVD issue

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jun 30 15:02:43 UTC 2006

I burned FC6t1 to a DVD and verified it.  The DVD automounts on insertion on
this box.  I then tried to boot my old laptop from the DVD, and the drive
ground on as though there was an imbalance, unable to boot.  I took the disk
to another box, and it booted to the install screen without problems.

I put a Knoppix DVD into the laptop drive, and that boots OK.

This is reminding me of problems reported on the Mandriva lists.  As I recall,
it was said that two versions of boot were available, one on CD1 and one on
CD2 to get round the physical problems some people were experiencing.  Is
this a real problem, or a figment of my ancient laptop?

Anne