FC5 docs

Keith Powell keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk
Mon May 1 08:37:25 UTC 2006

On Sunday 30 April 2006 6:59 pm, Dan wrote:
> Keith Powell wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 April 2006 2:39 pm, Bart Couvreur wrote:
> >>
> >> To install nvidia drivers:
> >> # yum install kmod-nvidia
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Bart
> >
> >Hello Bart, and thanks for the welcome.
> >
> > I tried your method of installing the nvidia driver, but it
> > didn't work.
> >
> > For information, I went into text mode and typed
> > yum install kmod-nvidia.
> > I got:

> > Setting up Installation process
> > Setting up repositories
> > core
> > updates
> > extras
> > Reading repository metadata in from local files
> > Parsing package install arguments
> > No match for argument: kmod-nvidia
> > Nothing to do.
> >
> > I tried editing the xorg.conf file to change the driver from "nv"
> > to "nvidia", but that didn't work.
> >

> You haven't messed anything up, just tried to do things out of
> order. For one:
> The kmod-nvidia package _is_ in livna, so if you don't have that
> repository installed, yum can't find it. :)
> And secondly, without that package installed, putting "nvidia" as
> the driver name will not work because it refers Xorg to the nvidia
> binary drivers, which you didn't have installed.
> No harm done.
> -Dan

Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

A couple of small points to clarify things.

When I ran  "yum install kmod-nvidia" I thought it would possibly run
a script which would find the package from a repository and install
it. This 'installation by a script' is used in other distributions.
Wrong!

When I got those messages, I wondered if the driver was installed, but
the xorg.conf file needed editing to change the driver (as is
required with other distros I have tried). Wrong again!

Cheers

Keith.