fstab missing line

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon May 1 13:17:33 UTC 2006

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 15:29 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Nader Mirzaee wrote:
>>
>>>     > Nader Mirzaee wrote:
>>>     >> Hello all
>>>     >>
>>>     >> i seem to miss one line in the fstab in my FC5 machine . my cdrom
>>>     >> drive doesn't function in linux .this is my fstab:
>>>     >>
>>>     >> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3
>>>     >> defaults 1 1
>>>     >> LABEL=/boot /boot ext3
>>>     >> defaults 1 2
>>>     >> devpts /dev/pts devpts
>>>     >> gid=5,mode=620 0 0
>>>     >> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs
>>>     >> defaults 0 0
>>>     >> proc /proc proc
>>>     >> defaults 0 0
>>>     >> sysfs /sys sysfs
>>>     >> defaults 0 0
>>>     >> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap
>>>     >> defaults 0 0
>>>     >> /dev/hda5 /mnt/windows ntfs
>>>     >> ro,defaults,umask=0222 0 0
>>>     >>
>>>     >> what should i add to it ?
>>>     >>
>>>     >>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>     >> PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.
>>>     > Fstab doesn't handle CD-rom in FC5. This is the job of hald I
>>>     believe.
>>>     > -Dan
>>>     >

>>>     That's fine but I had no CD drive until I changed fstab on both FC-5
>>>     computers here?
>>>
>>>     Obviously there's something going on that's not obvious to me ...
>>>
>>>     Bob Goodwin Zuni, Virginia w2bod
>>>
>>>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>     could you tell me more about what you "changed"!
>>>

>> Yes I added:
>>
>> /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto defaults 0 0
>>
>> and made a directory:
>>
>> /media/cdrecorder
>>
>> However this may not be the correct way to deal with the problem, it was
>> just my solution.
>>
> This is the whole point . You should not have to do that in FC5.
> What function of CD access do you not see without that line in fstab?

I don't recall the precise sequence of events but no doubt I attempted
to "mount /dev/hdc" and the cd to "/media/cdrecorder" as I am accustomed
to doing since FC4 and trying to look at a directory listing ...

I had other odd things happen with this FC5 installation and thought it
was merely related to those peculiarities?  In fact I did the
installation twice since it did not offer me a chance to select the
applications I wanted?  I had installed FC5 from the same DVD on another
computer via my LAN connection while this one ran FC4 and that went as
expected, a normal install without problems.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia   w2bod