Wired Ethernet Connection at Hotel - DNS

gb spam gbofspam at gmail.com
Mon May 1 14:40:15 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, RICHARD <rab at nauticom.net> wrote:
> Re my previous message, it appears the need for frequent re-activation of
> the connection is due to just losing the DNS information. I can stay
> connected while using ssh or telnet. But anything requiring names instead
> of ip's stops after a few minutes.

If the hotel doesn't block udp port 53 you should be able to run your
own dns server.  if its installed

   service named start

should get it running.  you could test it with

   dig google.com @127.0.0.1

if it doesn't time out you should be able to configure your network to
use that as its DNS and you would be away.