Wired Ethernet Connection at Hotel

Ed Gurski ed at gurski.com
Mon May 1 21:20:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 17:10 -0400, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

> Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 16:10:48 -0400 (EDT)
> From: RICHARD <rab at nauticom.net>
> Subject: Re:Wired Ethernet Connection at Hotel
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Cc: Joel Jaeggli <joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu>
>
> Sorry but I have to use pine via telnet to respond to the replies.
>
> I expected to be re-directed to a startup web page when I tried to use the
> browser but that did not happen - nothing happened the first time. I
> couldn't get to any web pages or use telnet or ssh. Yet route -r showed
> there was some sort of connection and the indicator for the ethernet
> connection showed there was some sort of connection (it was flashing and
> packets were being sent and received). I guessed at the gateway and dns
> and was able to ping them but that was as far as I could go until I used a
> route command to specify a default route to the gateway. I can tell from
> resolv.conf that dhcp is specifying the dns (yet I wasn't originally able
> to surf web pages unles I specified the ip address).
>
> An IT came up last night with his laptop (running Windows of course) and
> was immediately able to connect. It stays connected but for some reason
> the DNS gets lost and I have to repeatedly re-activate through the gui
> network interface.
>
> How can I look at dhcp? When I used to type in all the commands manually
> to connect (either wired or wirelessly using ifconfig, iwconfig, dhclient)
> dhclient would give me info on the leases. But for some time it doesn't
> give me any indication of what is going on.
>
> I'm going to try the service and dig example (but I wanted to send this
> first in case it causes any problems with connecting).
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rick B.
>
> Rick Bilonick
> mailto:rab at nauticom.net
> http://www.nauticom.net/users/rab

Rick:

This may not be worth much but I had a similar problem with a Dell
laptop when I was in SF. Apparently, there is a driver fix from Dell for
some of their laptops. Since I no longer have this Laptop, I can't
remember the fix, but it is available on the Dell web site...

It has to deal with the DSL Modem that is being used...

Ed Gurski