OT: Canadian Census 2006

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed May 3 19:39:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Robin Laing wrote:

> briert at cepu.ca wrote:
> > > Guy Fraser wrote:
> > >

> > The site is running on a Windows server. This was apparent from a number
> > of timeouts that put up IIS's default message of contact microsoft.  The
> > system is also very slow.
> >
> > There is no excuse for developing such a poor site.  Not just the
> > restrictions, but also the poor performance.
> >
> > I'm going to send them an e-mail.
> >
> > Tim Brier.
> >

> Hey, it is the government.  They have fallen into the MS is the best
> trap.  :)
>
> BTW, thanks for the tip.
>
> I would rather send in the snail mail version with a nice comment
> page attached.  This will have a double impact as they now have to
> pay someone to enter the data that they wanted me to enter.

it's not like i want to drag this thread out any longer, but i'm
pretty sure you can see the problem here:

http://www50.statcan.ca/census2006/js/browserCheck.js

particularly the last few lines of the function
"checkForSupportedBrowserVersion", which reads as follows:

	}
	    // The OS is not MacOS (and not Microsoft Windows)
	    else {
			// The OS is not supported
			return false;
		}