Procmail battles

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu May 4 15:30:28 UTC 2006

Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> writes:
>
>  > How do you receive your email, i.e. how does it end up going through
>  > procmail?
>
> An excellent question ... and I'm not sure, which may be the crux of
> the problem.  I was under the impression that sendmail, as it is
> configured to use procmail, would process ~/.procmailrc when it
> delivered mail to /var/spool/mail/pmr.  Now I'm thinking that that is
> not necessarily the case.  Can you confirm?  Meanwhile I will see if
> there is an option in sendmail.mc that causes procmail to ignore
> ~/.procmailrc ...

Sendmail is configured to use procmail out of the box for local
delivery, but not everyone receives mail using sendmail - some use
fetchmail to grab mail from their ISP mail server for instance.

The option in sendmail.mc for procmail delivery is:

FEATURE(`local_procmail')dnl

If you have this, local delivery should be via procmail.

>  > Check for sensible (e.g. not group or world writeable permissions on
>  > your home directory or .procmailrc).
>
> Done.

OK, let's see. What's the output of:

$ ls -ld / /home /home/pmr /home/pmr/.procmailrc

>  > Try adding:
>  >
>  > LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log
>  > LOGABSTRACT=yes
>  > VERBOSE=1
>
> Done.
>
>  > to your ~/.procmailrc after the MAILDIR=/home/pmr/mail line.
>  >
>  > Then look in /home/pmr/mail/procmail.log after a delivery attempt.
>
> No joy.

The mail goes straight to /var/spool/mail/pmr still? Nothing unusual in
/var/log/maillog?

Paul.