Fedora Core 3 Kernel 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3

Ted Beaton tbeaton at plansysit.com
Fri May 5 17:02:59 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with Fedora Core 3.  It installs and works fine w/kernel
2.6.9-1.667 either smp or or not.  But all my other clients are on the latest
kernel 2.6.12-1.1387 so I would like to update this one as well.  When I
download and install the update (using up2date) and then reboot into the "new"
kernel I get the following:

Uncompressing Linux...Ok, booting the kernel.
ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not free.
ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
Red Hat nash version 4.1.18.1 starting
mkrootdev: label / not found
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed 2
kernel panic - not syncing:  attempted to kill init

When I installed I tried formatting the disks using physical volumes, I tried
using ext2 and ext3.  Doesn't matter.  The original kernel sees the disk just
fine but when I upgrade the kernel it seems like it can't see the disk at all.
Doesn't matter how the disk is formatted because it can't talk to it at all.
There seems to be problem with the resources but it only happens with the new
Core 3 kernel.  I have tried Core 4 and there are other problems, plus I want
everyone to be on the same client OS anyway so I would rather fix the core 3
problem than launch into core 4 or core 5.  The motherboard is an Intel
motherboard, model D945GNT, version AAC96315-404.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Ted

All information contained in this email is confidential and may be used by the intended recipient only.