A FC6 suggestion.

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat May 6 04:15:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 13:04 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Assume you are in the IT dept for some group and you are used
> to being able to re-use disks in different machines and to
> recover data from any disk by installing/mounting in any working
> machine.  Now you find that any combination of disks from
> default fedora/RH/Centos installs won't boot...  It is a
> problem.

Put it in a USB2 housing.
Then it doesn't matter - FC5 doesn't use fstab when mounting a USB disk
(well, I haven't tried connected at boot). It doesn't use the LABEL
either.

Mounts just fine - even if another disk with that LABEL exists -
allowing you to do all the recovery you want.

Yes, I've done this.