newbie question about repos

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sat May 6 09:39:03 UTC 2006

On 5/6/06, Morten Gerdsen <morten at unschooling.dk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently installed FC5 for the first time, so I'm sorry if this is
> a stupid question:

No question is stupid here if you are honest about it and take your
time to pose it.

> In my Yum repo list I can see a lot of repos that are
> not being used by my Yum, such as "core-source", "extras-development",
> "legacy testing" etc etc.
>
> Am I right in assuming that some of these are beta-versions of new
> packages, and would it be a mistake to use them?

You are very rigth about them being beta. But to be more correct, and
as you hinted at, they are betas of the packages, not necessarily the
software being packaged. So it is quite possible to have a beta
package of a beta application.

You aren't really _mistaken_ to use them. However, you should only use
them if you know what you are doing, know what you need exactly, or
are a tester for Fedora.

For example: you really need a pacakge, but it is still in
fedora-testing - in that case you would install from there.

But simply put, don't use it if you don't know what you are going to
get from it.