Upgrade from RH Enterprise to FC 5: what problems to expect?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Sun May 7 13:17:59 UTC 2006

Hello,

Main issue is:
What are the essential differences between
RedHat Enterprise (Taroon), and FC 5?

A while ago, a vendor of commercial software
insisted his software ran only when using Redhat
Enterprise Linux. Eversince we are stuck with
RedHat Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 5).

This RH Enterprise version is 'not-so-legal',
and thus we can not upgrade or fix bugs.
Hence, I consider installing Fedora Core 5 instead.

The boss here is suspicious about my plan, because
"the vendor has said to use Enterprise" etc.,
although the vendor never was explicit why.

What kind of traps could I expect to happen when
upgrading Enterprise (Taroon) to Fedora Core 5?

Thanks,
Rob.