Initial NFS access very slow

David-Paul Niner dpniner at dpniner.name
Sun May 7 21:06:04 UTC 2006

On Sun May 7 2006 4:55 pm, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 07 May 2006 15:46:01 -0500
>
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > What are command are you issuing that you are calling the initial
> > command?
>
> Anything at all that accesses the NFS share.
>
> Examples:
> ls /mnt/webserver/home/www
> cp /mnt/webserver/home/www/index.html /home/backupwww
>
> Whatever.  The first access to the NFS share takes a very long time.  After
> that, things respond as they should.  Then, after not accessing the share
> for several minutes or hours, it's back to waiting for the initial access
> to go through again.

I've seen that sort of behavior in the past on a RHEL 4ES box.  Nothing too
beefy, but adequate enough--1gig uni-proc 2.4gig machine, IDE all the way,
with only a single client connected.

The delay from the initial `ls` and the file listing can be as long as
ten-seconds.  It seems to only happen (for me) when mounting a subdirectory
of an exported file system.  In otherwords, I'll export /a/sample/directory
from the server, but I'll be mounting /a/sample/directory/further/below on
the client.

This is fairly common scenario, of course, when automounting /home directories
using autofs.

There may be some options one could change in the fstab file to fix this; It
happens so infrequently that I haven't bothered to research it any further.

DP

David-Paul Niner, RHCE
Orange Park, Florida
United States of America
dpniner at dpniner.name

Public Key and fingerprint for GPG key 1FCE01A2
available from http://www.dpniner.name

Free/Busy Information published at:
https://horde.dpniner.name/kronolith/fb.php?u=dpniner

believed to be clean.