sendmail problem

Ron Watson resqe1a0 at verizon.net
Wed May 10 06:23:37 UTC 2006

Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> Greetings Ron ,
>

>> Have you tried setting your hostname, e.g. 'hostname
>> ini-wf.indystar.com' (as root...)  ? I'm about to
>> try and configure my sendmail to actually work for mail, but i
>> haven't really played with it much yet. I do notice, though,
>> that even though I've never touched the factory defaults, it at least
>> got the hostname right, even though all I've really done
>> that should have affected it was to set the hostname.
>

>  One other thing  I've noticed is that it apparently defaults to only
>> listening on the localhost interface (127.0.0.1) and not the network
>> interface, so I'll need to twiddle with that right off.
>
> From my sendmail.mc :
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> The above line is from my sendmail.mc and i guess it gives you a
> hint on why sendmail defaults to listen to localhost .
>
> As to the original question on this thread . The relative lines
> from my sendmail.mc are shown below .
>

> MASQUERADE_AS(`cha.forthnet.gr')dnl
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This is the domain that sendmail should masquerade to .
>
> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
> FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
>
> FEATURE(`local_no_masquerade')dnl
>
> This FEATURE just says that if the mail is to be delivered localy then
> don't
> masquerade .
> MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`Magellan.Andromeda.Galaxy.net')dnl
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This is the original Domain Name
>

> Kind Regards,
>   Kostas

Thanks for the info about default listening. As for not adressing the
original question,
I was just throwing that out in response to the original poster
mentioning that sendmail
still thought it was localhost, e.g.

> Thanks. I tried your suggestion, adding localhost and
> localhost.localdomain into local-host-names, restarted sendmail and
> neither sendmail -bt -d0 < /dev/null nor mail to
> helocheck at cbl.abuseat.org showed any change. Both still say sendmail's
> ID is localhost.localdomain.

and by combining that with what you mentioned here about
no_masquerade_local being enabled,
perhaps he simply needs to get out of localhost and then all the
masquerade stuff will start to
take effect. It's been my experience that many of the older, legacy Unix
programs are aware
that 127.0.0.1 is not a "normal" address, and modify their behavior
accordingly. Just trying to get
to the actual problem, rather than just fix symptoms. I was thinking
that maybe setting his
hostname correctly may be all he needs. Like I said, I haven't changed
the sendmail config on my
system, but at least it knows who it is...

--
=== Ron Watson === rw at compukitty.com ===
  Nisi potestatam dabis, non habebunt.