unknown user: root

Marian POPESCU softexpert at libertysurf.fr
Wed May 10 12:57:09 UTC 2006

Fajar Priyanto wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 May 2006 16:58, Andy Green wrote:
>> Andy Green wrote:
>> > This file is something to do with NIS auth.  Are you set up for NIS
>> > auth to your knowledge?
>>
>> If not, run
>>
>> system-config-authentication
>>
>> as root and see what your situation is.  If NIS is enabled and you
>> didn't want it, disable it.  My default situation has everything on the
>> first property page of system-config-authentication turned off, and only
>> "use shadow passwords" and "use MD5 passwords" turned on at the second
>> property page.
>
> Also make sure that in /etc/nsswitch.conf:
> These lines are ok and exactly like this:
> passwd:     files
> shadow:     files
> group:      files

YES! that's it!

I had previously (about 3 weeks ago) modified nsswitch.conf to something
like this

passwd:     compat winbind
shadow:     compat
group:      compat winbind

and could login without problems.

As soon as I put

passwd:     files compat winbind
shadow:     files compat
group:      files compat winbind

and restarted the system, I could login as root or whatever I wanted.

It's weird, though ...

A big THANK YOU to all of you for the advices and the time spent for my
problem!