spambayes

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed May 10 13:19:49 UTC 2006

On Wed May 10 2006 4:41 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> In the filter configuration for classifying as spam, I changed
> it to the following:
> sa-learn -L --spam --sync

You're not treading on my toes. Where did you put that entry, above?

> The difference was immediately obvious.  I understand that this is not the
> default setting because it is slower than the default, but it hasn't caused
> me any problems.  Of course, manually applying the filter to missed spam
> improves performance also.

I did manually train spamassassin during one period when I tried to use it
because I was having configuration problems with Spambayes. There was not a
dramatic effect - it seemed like I'd classify something as spam, and the same
message would keep getting through as ham - I made a mini-attempt to learn
about configuring spamassassin, but was in a hurry and didn't readily find
answers. Shortly after, I sorted out my Spambayes issue, so I stopped using
spamassassin. I've read repeatedly that spamassassin works well, so I chalked
up my experience to inexperience, and poor configuration. Someone on this
list whose views I respect once said that the best anti-spam strategy was a
combination of spamassassin and spambayes.  Now, having got my curiosity up,
I'm discovering some man pages I didn't find previously, and see that
spamassassin has a bayes-ian component to its filtering. Looks like its time
to revisit the subject, for me.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA