unknown user: root

Marian POPESCU softexpert at libertysurf.fr
Wed May 10 14:51:25 UTC 2006

Andy Green wrote:

>>> This file is something to do with NIS auth.  Are you set up for NIS
>>> auth to your knowledge?
>>
>> If not, run
>>
>> system-config-authentication
>>
>> as root and see what your situation is.  If NIS is enabled and you
>> didn't want it, disable it.  My default situation has everything on the
>> first property page of system-config-authentication turned off, and only
>> "use shadow passwords" and "use MD5 passwords" turned on at the second
>> property page.
>
> Lol that advice might not be so useful if you can't run anything as
> root.  Here is a default /etc/default/nss below... all comments.  I
> guess you can rename you existing /etc/default/nss and just do
>
> touch /etc/default/nss
>
> and maybe things can be happier.
>
> -Andy
>

> # /etc/default/nss
> # This file can theoretically contain a bunch of customization variables
> # for Name Service Switch in the GNU C library.  For now there are only
> # two variables:
> #
> # NETID_AUTHORITATIVE
> #   If set to TRUE, the initgroups() function will accept the information
> #   from the netid.byname NIS map as authoritative.  This can speed up the
> #   function significantly if the group.byname map is large.  The content
> #   of the netid.byname map is used AS IS.  The system administrator has
> #   to make sure it is correctly generated.
> #NETID_AUTHORITATIVE=TRUE
> #
> # SERVICES_AUTHORITATIVE
> #   If set to TRUE, the getservbyname{,_r}() function will assume
> #   services.byservicename NIS map exists and is authoritative,
> #   particularly that it contains both keys with /proto and without /proto
> #   for both
> #   primary service names and service aliases.  The system administrator
> #   has to make sure it is correctly generated.
> #SERVICES_AUTHORITATIVE=TRUE

It was nsswitch.conf !

I had previously (about 3 weeks ago) modified nsswitch.conf to something
like this

passwd:     compat winbind
shadow:     compat
group:      compat winbind

and I could login all the time without problems.

Somehow, after updating the system to latest kernel an dbus versions, it
started to play the foul ...

As soon as I put

passwd:     files compat winbind
shadow:     files compat
group:      files compat winbind

and restarted the system, I could login as root or whatever I wanted.

It's weird, though ...

A big THANK YOU to all of you for the advices and the time spent for my
problem!