Thunderbird, Advance to next ...

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed May 10 20:02:26 UTC 2006

I am presently using Thunderbird version 1.5.0.2 (20060501) and FC-5.
Until updating to FC-5 and the latest Thunderbird I could prevent
Thunderbird from asking "Advance to next unread message in ----------?"
by making the following configuration changes which can no longer be
done.  It appears that the configuration files have changed and I'm
unable to find where to stop this annoying "feature!"

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia   w2bod

 > how to stop Thunderbird from asking
 >>
 >> "Advance to next unread message in ................."

In ~/.thunderbird/default/<some_characters>/user.js add

# How to handle the Advance to next unread message in <x> folder
# prompt.
#
# Settings:
#     0 - Always go to the next folder without prompting
#     1 - Ask before going (default behavior)
#     2 - Don't prompt and don't go to the next folder with unread
#         messages
user_pref("mailnews.nav_crosses_folders", 0);

(or chose 2 if you do not want to automatically go to next folder with
unread messages)