fc5: install everything?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu May 11 21:43:31 UTC 2006

Stuart wrote:

> I come to this discussion a little late, and have read only a
> fraction of the previous replies, but I did not see one relevent
> issue mentioned.
>
> For users with slow, poor, or no, internet connections trying
> to add software after the install is done, is a royal pain-in-
> the-butt.  Yum likes the internet.  Yum does not do CDs.
> Yum does not even do local repos very well.  Not everyone
> (especially people installing fedora for the first time) have
> the knowlage or hardware/network resources to setup a
> local repo.
>
> So for this group of people, being able to install everything
> saves a huge amount of pain.  I hope the lean-and-mean
> fedora advocates keep this in mind, and will provide a CD
> set of fedora extras along with a one CD fedora core if
> thin-fedora distribution becomes a reality.

I like the way Mandriva does this - they automatically set up source
that uses the install media, and is smart enough to ask that you
insert the media when it needs it. It also tends to use the CD/DVD
instead of going to the net when both are there. From what I have
seen, Yum tends to go to the Internet rather then uses the CD/DVD,
and I have not had it ask for it even though I did set it up as a
repo...

Mikkel