Fishing License

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri May 12 17:53:18 UTC 2006

On 5/11/06, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:

> Whoa, don't give the lawyers an idea on how to make more money.  Just
> think about it.  Your legal department all of a sudden decides that you
> cannot install any software without one of their staff reading and
> discussing the implications of the EULA and deciding if it is safe for
> the company to use.

This is a non-sequitur.  Lawyers aren't making more money in this case
because they're already part of your paid legal staff.  They're making
the same money regardless of reading EULA documents or sitting on
their butts drinking coffee in a break room.

> On the other hand, if the lawyers get involved, there may be a good
> reason not to purchase Windows or pre-installed systems.  Lawyers have a
> good way of taking things way out of context.

That's in a criminal or civil trial where one side is attempting to
provide a burden of proof that the other side is or is not an injured
party.  Lawyers dealing with protecting your company from violations
of intellectual property law do not.

I think people just like to make shit up and bash lawyers.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."