Inkjet Printer Recommendations

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri May 12 21:22:11 UTC 2006

Stephen Mirowski wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> As far as I can tell, it doesn't quite look like the big boys are on
> our side in the consumer market yet. I am looking for a decent inkjet
> printer, but not too expensive.  Not really planning on printing
> photos or jazz.  More so just documents, resumes, etc.  Currently
> running FC4.  Any recommendations? Warnings?
>
> Stephen

I bought an Epson Stylus C62 several years ago which runs off LPT1 via
cups and works well but I was surprised to find that although I could
squirt some black ink into the cartridge when needed the printer would
not print.  It contains a memory device that must be reset.  I
eventually had to buy a gadget to reset it for about $20.  Refilling is
convenient for me, it may not be a consideration for you but better to
know about it before buying.

I have a newer HP6840 [eth/usb/wireless] which is still running on the
original cartridges which are nearing the empty mark.  I don't know if
they are similarly equipped?  I did buy spares for it though, still in
an emergency it's convenient to be able to refill them and a whole lot
less expensive.  The refilled cartridges have work well for me and that
would be a consideration.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia     w2bod