Mysql

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Mon May 15 14:46:04 UTC 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006, brouwers roland lx wrote:

> My server runs Fedora 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 .
> I am trying to install moregroupware. During setup it says
> At least one database driver is needed
> "You need at least one known database driver installed with php. Known
> database drivers are the following : MySQL, PostgreSQL"
> SO I INSTALLED MYSQL with "yum install mysql"
> Problem stays the same. I started mysql with "mysql" and got:

'mysql' from the command line doesn't start MySQL. It just launches as
text based _client_ for connecting to an already running MySQL server.

> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/m ysql.sock' (2)
> so I looked into /etc/my.cnf
> ---------------------------------------->
> [mysqld]
> datadir=/var/lib/mysql
> socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
>
> [mysql.server]
> user=mysql
> basedir=/var/lib
>
> [safe_mysqld]
> err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
> pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
> <-----------------------------------------
> All these files do not exist
> THEN I read that one has to start mysqld, so i looked for "safe_mysqld"
> Nothing to find
> Am I missing something?

As root, run the following two commands.

  chkconfig mysqld on

  service mysqld start

That will tell your server to automatically start the MySQL server at boot
time and manually start the server right now.

--
Benjamin Franz

I don't care how many levels of reality you posit; as soon as you posit even
one it's turtles all the way down.
                                              ---Nova Spivak