Update from FC4 to FC5 stole my kernel

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue May 16 06:29:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006 02:06:54 -0400
Dan <grinnz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Then there is no need for the UP kernel, assuming you actually do have
> multiple processors/HT.

Indeed.  I have never used it yet on that computer, in fact.  It's just a
symptom of the problem -- the up kernel was always there before, listed and
bootable.  Now it's gone and only the SMP kernel is listed, but it doesn't boot.

> Since you said you can see your filesystem, please post
> /boot/grub/grub.conf and the partition layout of your system.

I will do that tomorrow.  That computer is in an office that I can access
during the day.  I told the owner that I would come back tomorrow and either
fix it there, or take it with me and fix it here at my office.

The partition layout should be nothing special.  It has only one hard drive and
when I installed FC4 on it originally I just used the default layout.  And it
isn't a dual-boot thing or anything like that, either.

Thanks for the advice so far; I shall look at grub.conf and see if anything
jumps out and says "fix this".  I shall be back with a status report and so on
later.

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net