Update from FC4 to FC5 stole my kernel

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue May 16 12:34:51 UTC 2006

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>> I just ran an upgrade on a "generic" FC4 installation to update it to
>> FC5 off
>> of a set of cdroms.  Everything seemed to go ok, but when I reboot at
>> the end
>> of the installation instead of the pretty graphic Grub screen that
>> I've had
>> up until now, I get the text-only Grub screen.  The only kernel listed
>> on the
>> screen is the SMP kernel, the single-processor kernel is not listed at
>> all.
>> When it tries booting, I get "Error 15 - File not found".
>>
>> I tried upgrading again and it goes through some of the motions but I
>> still end
>> up at the same place.
>> I can boot the rescue mode and see the filesystem on the hard drvie.
>>
>> Where do I go from here?

Perhaps the issue you're seeing is the one described here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC5Common

   Note from LuyaTshimbalanga: some Fedora Core users who use dual-boot
   encountered strange issue with GRUB. After installing Fedora Core
   Release 5, GRUB won't load menu and will go to prompt mode. If it
   happens, boot FC5 disc 1 or Rescue Disc, make sure to enter "chroot
   /mnt/sysimage" in command line then do
   "grub-install /dev/hda --recheck" to fix the problem.
   Original issue from [WWW]

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101240&highlight=grub

>    I had the same problem. It seems that you NEVER update anything with
> FC5. That process is broken. It looked real odd on my laptop FC4 to FC5
> but it worked for some reason. That made me try on this computer where
> it failed and come to think of it Grub on the laptop had just 2 entries.
>
>    But it appears in general that FC5 will screw up any upgrade.

Strange, it didn't screw up any of the 4 machines I upgraded from FC4 to
FC5. And that includes a couple of dual-boot machines.

Paul.